Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Love spending time with dogs? We need dog companions!
As a dog companion you will have several duties:
1) Enrich – Find out what your dog enjoys doing, and do it (e.g., brushing, puzzle toys, agility-type activities, car rides, laying in the sun, napping in Baxter’s, snuggling playing fetch or tug, etc.).
2) Monitor – Watch your dog; look for signs that something’s “off.” Bad breath? Constant licking/scratching? Limping? Rapid weight loss? Sudden changes in “mood” or temperament? Concerning behaviors (fear, defensiveness, reactivity, etc.)? Report these immediately to the Medical Coordinator and Training Coordinator.
3) Document – Take note of your dog’s likes/dislikes. What are their favorite activities? What startles them? How do you calm them down? This information will go in our Training Updates so all volunteers can better understand your dog, and will be used by the Adoption Committee to help AAS place your dog in the right forever home.
How to become a Companion:
Complete a 16-hour probation period - During regular shift hours (9 AM-12PM) , walk dogs on the AAS field and play with dogs in playparks. Demonstrate the ability to safely harness, walk, and interact with dogs, demonstrate the ability to follow directions, and demonstrate genuine care/concern for the dogs’ wellbeing. After you have completed your 16 hour probation period you will be permitted to visit your dog any time from sun-up to sun-set.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: