Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Literacy Tutor (2019-20, AmeriCorps)
Do you believe that literacy is a human right?
Reading is the foundation for educational success and opportunities in life, yet many children are not given the time and skills to build this foundation. Children without the necessary literacy skills can fall behind quickly, and the consequences last a lifetime. Children who are not reading on grade level by the end of third grade are four times less likely to graduate from high school.
The Literacy Lab recognizes that ensuring all students have the chance to read proficiently is an urgent and critical need. Our approach is to provide pre-K and elementary schools with evidence-based literacy intervention, full-time literacy tutors to implement the model, and assessment tools and a coaching support structure that ensures the success of the program and students.
If you believe literacy is a human right and want to ensure that all children learn to read proficiently, you belong on our team!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Tutors will serve full-time for an entire academic year in an assigned school and work with a caseload of about 15-18 students in need of targeted reading support. Tutors will implement specific early literacy interventions, conduct weekly progress monitoring, and work with a team of coaches to make data-informed decisions to ensure each child is on track to read proficiently. Tutors are a part of the school community and will work to build strong relationships with students, teachers, and other staff. In addition, tutors will participate in community-based volunteer opportunities.
At a minimum, a tutor must:
- Serve for the duration of the school day M-F
- Commit to serving for the full school year (August-June/ July)
- Become engaged with volunteer opportunities at your school site and in the community
- Act on feedback from coaches and program staff
- Utilize specific data-based and scripted curriculum
At a minimum, all applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalency
- Have served no more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms
- Be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- DACA recipients are unfortunately not eligible to apply
- Candidates must not be registered, or be required to register, on any sex offender registry
- Richmond, VA
- Henrico, VA
- Hopewell, VA
- Peterburg, VA
- Hampton Roads, VA
Over the course of their service term, tutors receive:
- A modest living allowance ($1400/ month)
- Federal student loan forbearance
- Segal Education Award upon completion of service
- Health insurance, with all premiums covered by The Literacy Lab
- Access to SNAP benefits, as well as Childcare and Employee Assistance Programs
- Transferable professional development that complements your service year experience
The Literacy Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request. Required physical/sensory job functions are provided upon request.
- Explore our Year at a Glance, FAQs, and position overviews here: http://bit.ly/2D4EDti
- Potential applicants are also invited to attend an informational webinar to learn more about the application process, hear about the tutor experience, and have the opportunity to connect with a recruiter. Sign up here:http://bit.ly/2EJQrTw
Submit your application through The Literacy Lab’s website: http://bit.ly/2D9cK3B
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: