Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Skills: Gardening / Landscape Knowledge, Land Conservancy Knowledge, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Invasive Species Management - Removal
In our efforts to conserve the last parcel of wilderness in the Hoffler Creek watershed, we are currently focused on identifying, removing, and preventing invasive species throughout the Wildlife Preserve. With 142 acres to manage, this is a long term project that will require multiple phases of work and emphasis on one area at a time.
The first location we are working with is along the lake edge of the Lake Ballard Trail. Some invasive species we have found are English Ivy (Hedera helix), Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense), Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica), Mimosa (Albizia julibrissin), White Mulberry (Morus alba), Multiflora Rose (Rosa multiflora), and Chinese Lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata). We are working on creating a more comprehensive list and identification guide to assist with this project.
This opportunity specifically will involve the removal of the invasive species. There is a seperate opportunity available for those interested in helping with identification and flagging.
- Familiarity with the above listed plants and other invasive species commonly found in Southeast Virginia
- The ability to use loppers, hand saws, shovels, and other tools to remove the plants
- Experience using a wood chipper or the willingness to work with our Maintence Volunteer to chip woody materials after removal
- Experience with the controlled application of herbicides
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: