VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads 60 Years of Service
1957- In 1957, the Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach funded a pilot project to establish a Volunteer Service Bureau
1962- Once the need for volunteer services was confirmed, the Bureau came under the management of the Planning Council. The purpose of the bureau was to offer recruitment, evaluation, and referral of volunteers to the nonprofit community.
1973- The Volunteer Service Bureau becomes affiliated with the National Center for Voluntary Action and the name changed to the Voluntary Action Center. With the change of name came a comprehensive change of concept encompassing all facets of volunteerism--services we expanded to include consultation to nonprofits, trainings for volunteer coordinators, and publication of volunteer opportunities.
1977- In order to meet an increased request for services, the Planning Council recommends the Voluntary Action Council becomes its own independent organization under the United Way.
1996- Formally changed the name to VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads and becomes a member of the Points of Light and HandsOn Network, a national network of volunteer action centers.
2007- VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads is the recipient of the prestigious George W. Romney Excellence Award as the nation's top volunteer center from a field of more than 350 centers.
2017- VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads celebrates its 60th-anniversary providing volunteer services to nonprofits, individuals and corporation with the launch of its innovative volunteer leadership model, VolunTier Vision. VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads has evolved from a traditional clearinghouse into a full-service management support organization for the nonprofit sector.