Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Rental Event and Tourism Internship
Summary of Internship: To work with the Sales Manager, learning the details of our Rental Business as well as the Tourism side of the position to increase the Museum’s profile and revenue.
Length of Internship: Up to two semesters, and could include summer
Number of hours required weekly: approximately 10 hours per week at mutually arranged dates and times on a recurring basis.
Qualifications for this Internship: Great for Hospitality, Logistics or Event Planning Majors. Candidate must be friendly, outgoing, very detail oriented and a self-starter.
Experience – This internship provides the following experiences for the intern:
● Client walk-throughs which teach sales techniques
● Will learn the rental process completely
● Learn how to complete design layouts for upcoming events
● Communication with clients, vendors and other Museum Staff
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
● Drawing up rental contracts
● Following up with tourism contacts
● Corresponding with clients/ setting up appointments
● Refunding security deposits
● Updating calendars and reports
Projects: The intern will complete a project of their choosing. Some options include:
● Completing an comprehensive comparison between the museum and what other organizations offer and how they manage their rental business (60 mile radius)
● Help with coordinating rental events and prepare an audit which would encompass considerations for sustainability, growth opportunities, revenue generation, conservation messaging, a 3 and /or 5 year plan for the event.
Expectations: The Sales Director expects interns to adhere to their pre-arranged schedule, to dress and conduct themselves professionally, to ask questions, to complete tasks fully and to communicate regarding areas/ skills they want to develop.
Confidentiality - All interns will sign a confidentiality agreement as the student may come in contact with client or revenue information.
Evaluation – Students will have a “check in” at mid-term and an evaluation at the conclusion of the semester. This may vary based on what is required by the college/university.
Feedback – The sales director will do monthly ”catch-ups” to discuss the position, the content learned, etc. At the end of the internship, there will be an exit interview with a survey.
Application Instructions: submit official VLM volunteer application, resume and cover letter. www.thevlm.org and click on “volunteer” for links to application and information. Applications are accepted for Spring and Fall semesters yearly. Spring application deadline: Jan 31 and Fall deadline July 15.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: